Strawberry Margarita Muffins
By: Brittaney Berendsen, RD., P.H.Ec.
Makes a dozen muffins
1.5 cups (375 mL) fresh strawberries, tops removed, pureed in a blender and strained to remove seeds
1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
1/3 cup (80 mL) vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup (80 mL) sour cream
1/2 cup (125 mL) canola oil
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
Zest and juice of 2 limes
1 3/4 cups (425 mL) quinoa flour
1 tsp ( 5 mL) baking powder
1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
2 tbsp (30 mL) hemp hearts
2 tbsp (30 mL) chia seeds
1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded coconut
1. Pour the strained strawberry puree in a medium saucepan. Heat on stovetop over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Allow mixture to reduce in volume by about a half, the end product should be darker and more concentrated. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin tin with papers and set aside.
3. In a bowl combine egg, sugar, vanilla yogurt, sour cream, oil, vanilla extract, lime zest and lime juice.
4. In another bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, hemp hearts, chia seeds and coconut.
5. Add dry ingredients to the wet and stir just until combined. Swirl in the cooled strawberry puree. Portion evenly into the muffin papers.
6. Place in oven and bake for 20- 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Remove from oven and allow muffins to cool on wire rack. Drizzle with glaze if desired. Enjoy!
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
The Ontario Home Economics Association, a self-regulating body of professional Home Economists, promotes high professional standards among its members so that they may assist families and individuals to achieve and maintain a desirable quality of life.