By Jennifer Goodwin, PHEc and Mairlyn Smith, PHEc
Excerpted from Homegrown, by Mairlyn Smith. Reprinted with permission of Whitecap Books, 2015.
Canadians may have adopted the traditional pumpkin pie recipe from our southern neighbours, but Canadian Thanksgiving in October just wouldn’t seem right without it. Jennifer and I amalgamated our recipes to produce this winner.
One 9-inch (23 cm) unbaked pie shell with fluted edges
1 cup (250 mL) evaporated 2% milk
2 omega-3 eggs
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) pureed pumpkin (fresh or canned)
1 cup (250 mL) packed dark brown sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) cinnamon
1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
1. Place oven rack to its lowest position. Preheat oven to 425ºF (220°C).
2. Make pie shell according to the recipe on page 368. Roll out according to directions and place in pie plate; crimp edges.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, eggs, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves, until completely combined. Tip: don’t over-blend as this can cause the pie to crack.
4. Pour filling into the unbaked pie shell and bake for 20 minutes; reduce heat to 325ºF (160°C) and bake 35 to 45 minutes longer, or until the pie is set. Cool to room temperature and chill in fridge until serving. Refrigerate any leftovers (as if…).
• For a leafy garnish, roll out extra pastry to 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness and cut into leaf shapes. While the pie is baking at 425ºF (220°C), bake the pastry garnish for 8 to 10 minutes on a small baking sheet. Remove from oven, cool and set aside. Arrange on top of cooled pie. We used a
Maple Leaf in the picture.
• Not a pastry fan? Turn the recipe into baked custard: Divide the filling into six 4-inch (10 cm) ramekins or custard cups and bake at 325ºF (160°C) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until set.
Makes one 9-inch (23 cm) pie One serving = 1/6 pie
Per serving: 301 Calories, 9.6 g Total Fat, 4 g Saturated Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 194 mg Sodium, 48.6 g
Carbohydrate, 2.3 g Fibre, 31.7 g Sugars, 22.6 g Added Sugars, 7.5 g Protein
Carbohydrate Choices: 3