Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins
Amy Oliver, OHEA student member
Excerpted from Homegrown, by Mairlyn Smith. Reprinted with permission of Whitecap Books, 2015.
“When the OHEA came up with a Canadian ingredients cookbook, I was thrilled. I love to see recipes using locally grown Canadian foods, so I started thinking about recipes that would include some of my favourite Canadian foods and was inspired to create this recipe because I love maple syrup and seeing the pumpkin fields in the fall.” —Amy
1/4 cup (60 mL) large flake rolled oats
1/4 cup (60 mL) packed dark brown sugar
2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat flour
1 cup (250 mL) large rolled oat flakes
1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
2 Tbsp (30 mL) natural wheat germ
2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried ginger
1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground nutmeg
1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
3/4 cup (180 mL) 100% pure pumpkin puree (see note)
1/4 cup (60 mL) pure maple syrup
1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil
1 omega-3 egg
2 tsp (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
Pumpkin Puree—Freeze leftover pumpkin puree in ¾ cup (180 mL) portions for the next time you want to make these muffins.
1. Preheat oven 400°F (200°C). Line a muffin tin with 12 large paper muffin liners.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
4. Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop the mixture equally into the 12 muffin liners.
5. Sprinkle 2 tsp (10 mL) of topping mixture over each muffin.
6. Bake for 15 to 22 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
7. Allow pan to cool slightly on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from the pan and continue cooling before storing.
8. Muffins can be stored in a covered container for 2 to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Makes 12 muffins One serving = 1 muffin
Per serving: 258 Calories, 8 g Total Fat, 1 g Saturated Fat, 0.2 g Trans Fat, 135 mg Sodium, 40.2 g
Carbohydrate, 3.8 g Fibre, 16 g Sugars, 13.9 g Added Sugars, 6.4 g Protein
Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2