Mexican street corn quesadillas
By: Erin MacGregor, RD, P.H.Ec. of www.howtoeat.ca
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil (divided)
1 Small onion (peeled and finely chopped)
1 jalapeño pepper (minced)
2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
2 cups (500 mL) fresh or frozen corn kernels
½ tsp (2 mL)salt
2 tbsp (30 mL) mayonnaise
1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup (500 mL) harvarti cheese
4 12 inch flour tortillas
1. Heat 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and jalapeño and sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add chili powder and cook for additional 30 seconds. Add corn and salt and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
2. Transfer corn mixture into a bowl, add mayonnaise and lime juice and stir until combined.
3. Heat large frying pan over medium heat. Brush pan with a tsp (5 mL) of oil. Lay one tortilla in pan and top ½ with ¼ of corn mixture, and sprinkle with ¼ of grated cheese. Fold tortilla over to make a half-moon and press down on top half with a spatula.
4. Cook quesadilla for about 2 minutes, carefully flip it over and cook an additional 2 minutes until tortilla is browned and cheese is melted. Transfer to a cooling rack then cut into 3 pieces when slightly cooled. Repeat with remaining 3 tortillas.
5. Serve plain or with salsa and/or sour cream, if desired.