- Becoming a P.H.Ec.
Are you interested in becoming a Professional Home Economist (P.H.Ec)? To become a P.H.Ec. in Ontario, you need a degree from a university program that falls under one of the realms of Home Economics/Human Ecology (textiles, family social science, or nutrition). This includes anyone graduating in the required program from one of the qualifying Ontario institutions below:
1) Ryerson University
Ryerson offers a BASc in Nutrition and Food. To qualify for a P.H.Ec. designation, you must take FNP 100, Introduction to Professional Practice. For more information about the program, click here
2) Brescia University College
To qualify for the P.H.Ec. designation, students must successfully complete Human Ecology 2222 F/G Professional Perspectives as part of the Foods and Nutrition, Family Studies, or Nutrition and Families module. For more information about the program, click here.
3) If you have a Degree in Nutrition / Home Economics / Human Ecology or similar, but have not graduated from either Ryerson University or Brescia University, you can take a home study course to become a Professional Home Economist. The OHEA Professional Home Economics Self-Study Course is an informative and reflective online opportunity that provides the background and significance of the profession of home economics. This opportunity also provides you with a supportive OHEA mentor who will provide formative feedback on the reflections and invite discussion with each participant. The online course is offered through www.schoology.com. If you are interested in finding out more, please contact us : email@example.com
After You Have Graduated:
- Contact Eileen Stanbury, OHEA's Administrator/Registrar, and mail her your official transcript. The transcript needs to show that you have graduated from your program. Therefore, you will have to wait until AFTER you receive your diploma at graduation to request this transcript or else it will not show that you have graduated and you will be asked to resubmit your transcript.
- Your transcript will be reviewed by the Vice Presidents of Membership and, if approved, a motion will be made for your membership and is presented to either the Executive or the Board of Directors, whomever is meeting next.
- After the meeting, Eileen Stanbury will contact you and give you a link to pay your membership. New Graduates pay a reduced fee ($100 + $13.00 HST for 2018-2019) for the two years following graduation. Once this membership is paid, Eileen will then send you a certificate which will be dated and signed by herself and the President.
- At this point in time you will be eligible to use the Professional Home Economist designation and will be held accountable to an established code of professional conduct and OHEA’s Code of Ethics.
OHEA Office Information:
1033 Lagoon Rd, RR 3, Bancroft, ON K0L 1C0
Tel: 613-339-1309 Fax: 613-339-1880