Barb Holland, P.H.Ec.
Excerpted from Homegrown, by Mairlyn Smith. Reprinted with permission of Whitecap Books.
"Bye-bye deep-frying. A quick pan-fry in a skillet and you've got a quick and healthy vegetarian meal. To serve falafels, stuff them into whole wheat pitas and add a variety of toppings-Tahini sauce, Pickled Red Onions, diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce."
You can make the patties ahead, cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
One 19 oz (540 mL) can chick peas, well rinsed and drained
2 green onions, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup (125 ml) coarsely chopped parsley
1/4 cup (60 mL) coarsely chopped cilantro
1 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground coriander Pinch cayenne
1/2 tsp (5 mL) iodized salt
1 omega-3 egg
1/4 cup (60 mL) 100% whole wheat bread crumbs or Panko crumbs
1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
Four 100% whole wheat pitas
1 cup (250 mL) shredded lettuce (approx.)
1 cup (250 mL) diced tomatoes (approx.)
Pickled Red Onion slices
1. In food processor, combine chick peas, green onions, garlic, parsley, cilantro, cumin, coriander, cayenne and salt. Pulse for 5 seconds and scrape down with a rubber spatula. Add egg and process until you have a chunky but even texture (not a smooth paste, you aren't making baby food). Scrape down as needed.
2. Place mixture in a large bowl. Fold in the panko crumbs, don't over mix.
3. Form the mixture into 8 patties, each approx. 3 inches (8 cm) wide and 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick.
4. In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. When hot, add 4 patties and cook until firm and golden on both sides, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
5. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining patties.
6. To serve, cut pitas in half crosswise. Place 1 falafel patty into each half.
7. Serve each falafel with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) Tahini sauce, lettuce, tomatoes and 1/4 cup (60 mL) Pickled Red Onions.
Makes 8 patties. One serving = 1 pita, 2 Falafel patties, 1/4 cup (60 mL) Pickled Red Onion and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) Tahini Sauce
Per serving: 570 calories, 14.8 g Fat, 2.1 g Sat. Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 859 mg Sodium,
61.5 g Carbohydrates, 7.7 g Fibre, 11.4 g Sugars, 9.4 g Added Sugars, 15.5 g Protein, Carbohydrate Choices: 3.5
The Ontario Home Economics Association, a self-regulating body of professional Home Economists, promotes high professional standards among its members so that they may assist families and individuals to achieve and maintain a desirable quality of life.